Read Jim Poulter's article entitled the impacts of colonisation (pdf), which explores the impacts of colonisation in the Port Phillip area over the 20 years from first contact in 1835. Themes of both conflict and accommodation are recounted and show how a true Australian identity began to emerge from this period.
The sections in the article are:
- How Bunjil got promoted to God.
- Jagga-Jagga, the Black Pimpernel.
- Billibelleri, an astute leader in testing times.
- Two starkly different types of colonist.
- The legendary Jimmy Dawson.
- Growing up in frontier times.
- Lanky Manton, the last initiated man in Victoria.
- Strange old Uncle Willie.